IREX is recruiting a pool of local experts to serve as consultants on our Learn to Discern (L2D) Kosovo program for short-term assignments. IREX seeks expertise in media literacy, training, education, journalism, fact-checking, psychology, and other related disciplines.
About Learn to Discern
In Kosovo, IREX’s Learn to Discern (L2D) program is building a training platform to increase media and information literacy (MIL) in partnership with the U.S. Embassy and local stakeholders and experts in the MIL field. IREX will develop a version of Very Verified for Kosovo, which is a massive open online course (MOOC) that focuses on critical and analytic thinking skills.
IREX is looking for:
- Training experts with essential understanding of media and information literacy, or with a willingness and ability to learn;
- Experts in related disciplines, who could contribute to shaping a media literacy project’s approach. This includes significant experience in one or more of: journalism, fact-checking, training programs, psychology, and critical thinking skills development.
About the position:
IREX is seeking a pool of local experts who have strong experience in developing and delivering training materials and lesson plans. Experts in their respective fields (media literacy, including fact-checking, mis/disinformation, stereotypes, social media influence, visual literacy, hate speech, journalism standards, and pedagogy in training informally and formally youth and adult audiences) will contribute to design and adaptation recommendations for a media literacy course.
This flexible, part-time consultancy requires a mix of training and curriculum design skills, the ability to take responsibility and coordination with other stakeholders, including hearing from trainers, teachers, and students. In April and May 2021, the consultants will spend approximately six working days adapting the content of IREX’s media literacy course for Kosovo. The experts will work with global IREX staff and consultants to train trainers, who will roll out an English-language version of the media and information literacy course, Very Verified, an online course that was developed by IREX in Ukraine (see https://verified.ed-era.com/). Trainers may also be asked to help with adapting the course by creating content for or providing feedback on the Very Verified course. Some experts will also be asked to serve as Master Trainers starting in August 2021, which will add an additional 5-10 days of work through the summer and culminate in training of trainer work in the fall (approximately 5-10 more days).
From this solicitation, approximately 4 trainers will be selected, though this number will depend on the candidates and budget. IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and consultant performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected expert without re-publicizing the opportunity.
Example Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical expertise and support to L2D-Kosovo team in reviewing Very Verified curriculum for Kosovo;
- Adapt existing and/or creation of new lessons for the curriculum; lessons will have specific length and structure, that will be determined in consultation with the L2D-Kosovo team;
- Follow developments and the latest research related to disinformation, media and information literacy, and critical thinking;
- Review and recommend improvements at all levels of Very Verified adaptation and design;
- Develop agenda and delivery of Training of Trainers (ToT) for VeryVerified facilitators;
- Interact regularly with IREX’s regional manager, consultants, trainers, civil society and media groups, and other program stakeholders;
- Support to trainers;
- Other tasks as assigned, based on consultant’s background and program needs.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Strong background in technical area that will bring unique insight to discussions that shape L2D’s adaptation of the media literacy learning curriculum and delivery. Backgrounds sought include: journalism, training, education, media literacy, fact-checking, psychology, and other related disciplines.
- Strong experience in donor-funded training and education projects preferred;
- Knowledge and use of interactive methods in training preferred;
- Experience in delivering Training of Trainers (ToT), preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to media literacy preferred; understanding of media literacy required.
- Knowledge and field-level experience in working with youth, preferred;
- Experience in developing curricula preferred;
- Demonstrated understanding of pedagogy;
- Demonstrated understanding of media landscape and media environment in Kosovo;
- Languages: professional fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English required; Albanian strongly desired.
How to apply:
Interested individuals should apply to this call by March 12, 2021 and submit the following documents:
- CV that emphasizes relevant experience for this assignment
- Cover letter that includes daily rate in USD and explains how background fits into this position
As preparation and for gaining context to write a good cover letter and interview well, applicants are strongly encouraged to explore all five units of IREX’s media literacy course, Very Verified https://verified.ed-era.com/, which will serve as the training tool for the project. This course was designed for Ukrainians, and consultants will be expected to adapt and train with it for Kosovar audiences as part of IREX’s implementation of this project.
IREX may at its discretion ask for additional information. Issuing this call does not commit IREX to select any proposal/expert. IREX reserves the right, based on availability of funding and consultant performance, to increase the duration and/or enter into subsequent contractual agreements with the selected experts without re-publicizing the opportunity.
1275 K Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005